Thursday, September 13, 2012

HP Web Support is Ridiculous!

Already, I've been a little annoyed with the HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook because it has an Nvidia card which of course includes the brand new and amazing (obnoxious) CUDA technology. Annoyed because the CUDA technology occasionally causes my computer screen to black out when I switch between a game and my browser, or from my browser to a video, etc.

So when I'm uploading a YouTube video and my entire screen goes black and stays black, I of course freak out a little bit. When I restart my computer and the screen is still black, I really start to freak out. I even try plugging my laptop into the TV to see if perhaps it is merely the display, but no, the TV will not receive input. I try not to lose my head.

So I wait a few minutes and turn my laptop back on, and magically the graphics seem to be working again. I decide perhaps it is merely that my laptop has overheated, even though it is about 65 degrees Fahrenheit in my bedroom and I keep my laptop elevated and the vents uncovered. I wonder if perhaps it's time to do a little "Spring Cleaning". Shouldn't be too difficult to look up instructions on how to open up a laptop case, right?

Well, HP will have none of that. They strongly recommend against opening the laptop case. Here's what the official HP website suggests if you want to clean your laptop's fans:


So let me get this straight, HP. You want me to...

blow air into here...

which will then wind up here...


then eventually here, as evidenced by the dust bunnies I'd found...


and then finally here, where some moron at the factory had failed to fully seal the protective plastic.

(Click to embiggen. A couple dust bunnies are hanging out under the upper left corner of the plastic seal.)

My laptop is not a Nintendo game cartridge, thank you very much. But what really gets my goat is that once I clean my fan using your wonderful method, if that doesn't work, then I should move my laptop to a cooler room, and if that fails, then I should "Test for hardware failure."

Excuse me? Perhaps if you didn't tell me to blow dust bunnies even deeper into the crevices of my laptop, it wouldn't have hardware failure. Oh, I get it. That's what you want, because then some poor sap will have to call you, deal with the awful customer support, and then mail in the laptop to have parts replaced. Wow, HP. You haven't advanced much beyond your days as a printer manufacturing company.


If ever this laptop breaks, I will be getting myself an Alienware computer. I'm done with your company. Screw you and all your screws, and your dustbunny breeding practices.

Addendum:
I gotta add another little pet peeve I didn't mention before.
The person who didn't properly apply the plastic seal on the interior also failed to screw in the parts properly. I could tell that the person used an electric screwdriver to put each screw in completely, individually, one at a time, rather than screwing in each one most of the way and tightening them all after they were all in place. Thanks for causing a bunch of screws to sit diagonally, moron.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I work for HP (Unix Admin not customer support) and the advice that I always give to anyone who ask me about buying a laptop is: Get a Dell. I have an alienware myself and is awesome. I can open it without lossing the warranty, I can clean it. I can add/replace hw. Great customer support and I'm not in the US. I in Argentina. :)

    ReplyDelete